Can I Change my Probation Terms?

There are some circumstances which lead people to want to change the terms of their probation. In order for this to happen, there must have been a change in circumstances or an unexpected situation arises that creates what a judge would consider a “good cause” to modify the current terms of their probation.

Following the terms and conditions of your probation

While you are on probation, you must report to a designated probation officer and follow a variety of conditions. Some examples of these conditions include:

  • Regularly meeting with your probation officer at set times;
  • Appearing at any scheduled court appearances;
  • Paying fines or restitution (monies to victims);
  • Avoiding certain people and places;
  • Not traveling out of state without the permission of your probation officer;
  • Obeying all laws, including minor laws such as jaywalking;
  • Refraining from illegal drug use or excessive alcohol use; and/or
  • Submitting to drug or alcohol testing.

The conditions usually relate to the type of criminal offense committed and are decided on by the judge.

Changing the terms of your probation

changing probation termsIf you wish to modify or change the conditions of your probation in any way, the law allows you to petition the court through your lawyer to change the terms and conditions of your probation. Some examples of these changes include:

  • Request a misdemeanor designation of the offense.
  • Terminate probation early.
  • Request travel out of the state or country.
  • Request extra time to do community service work.
  • Modify jail time to a reduced term or home electronic confinement.
  • Reduce financial obligations involving restitution, fines or court fees.
  • Eliminate requirements of unnecessary drug testing or counseling.
  • Release from jail to attend to a family emergency.
  • Change supervised probation to a less obtrusive form of probation.



photo by AlexVan on pixabay